Back to Home
MaharajaFatesinghMuseum.com

History of the Museum
The collection of Maharaja Fatesingh Museum Trust is in the school building which was constructed for the Maharaja's children education situated in the Lukshmi Villas Palace compound, formerly known as the Motibaug School built in 1875 for Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III

Maharaja Pratapsinghrao Gaekwad and later Maharaja Fatesinghrao Gaekwad, the founder of the trust, as well as other members of the royal family including Maharaja Ranjitsinh Gaekwad completed their schooling here.



The great ruler Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III ( 1875 -1939) consulted various renowned artists of Indian subcontinent and Europe to choose art pieces to decorate the various palaces in Baroda and other palaces in India. The museum contains works of art collected by Maharaja Sir Sayajirao Gaekwad III during his numerous trips out of India.

It is his efforts and interests that inspired Maharaja Fatesinghrao Gaekwad to create this trust and the museum to preserve this great treasure and make it available to the public for their admiration and education.

Today a large number of works of art belonging to the Maratha Royal family are also displayed in the museum.

After appropriately redesigning the existing school building to house the art treasures, Dr. H. Goetz, a renowned museum director and an expert art historian, was engaged to arrange the display of this museum.

Today the lush Lukshmi Vilas Palace gardens add greatly to the quiet and serene atmosphere of the museum. The museum was opened to the public in April, 1961 by Nawab Mehndi Nawaz Jung, the then governor of Gujarat.

The art collection in the Galleries :

The major works of art in this museum are the paintings by European and Indian artists including a collection of the paintings of the famous Indian artist Raja Ravi Varma, also called Father of Indian Modern Art.

There is a collection of sculptures in marble and bronze. These include copies of great masters in bronze commissioned by the Maharaja and also originals by renowned artists and objects d’arts collected by the Gaekwads of Baroda, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III (1875-1939), the visionary of Baroda city.

Venetian artist Felici :

The versatile Venetian artist, Felici, was employed by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in the court to advise in the purchase of western objects d’arts and to create some for the various palaces. Felici created many bronzes, marbles and oils, some of which are exhibited in this outstanding museum, his works adorn not only the Museum but also the Lakshmi Vilas Palace. Some of Fellici's works can be seen on the Public Park ( Sayaji Garden also known as Kamati Baug by the locals).

Raja Ravi Varma :

A prince from the Travancore state who was the first Indian to use oil as a painting medium, who was specially commissioned by the then Maharaja of Baroda. The collection includes portraits of the Royal family in addition to the paintings based on hindu mythology for which Raja Ravi Varma was famous and was called to Baroda. In his style of painting Ravi Varma diverged from the prevailing trend by employing the European tradition of painting for Indian themes. Some of his outstanding paintings on mythological subjects and portraits of the Baroda Royal Family gives an idea of the time spent by this artist in Baroda.

In 2000, the Maharaja Fatesingh Museum Trust displayed the Gaekwad collection of the works of Raja Ravi Varma to celebrate its centenary year. The renowned artist spent several years in Baroda on several trips to paint commissioned works ordered by the enlightened connoisseur Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, at whose investiture the artist was first invited.

European Sculptures & Paintings :

The European sculptures and paintings comprise copies of famous masterpieces of the Italian Renaissance, and original works belonging to the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Copies of famous Greek and Roman sculptures are displayed in the eastern gallery;

European oil paintings (two halls, two rooms and the south gallery)

one room equipped with 18th century French furniture; copies of 17th and 18th century master paintings

Oriental Gallery :

For the collections of foreign art consist of Chinese and Japanese porcelain and enamel, bronzes the museum has an oriental gallery which houses sculptures and other works collected by the Maharaja on his visits to these countries and paintings are exhibited in the western gallery;
Manda Hingurao
Manda Hingurao
Secretary and Curator
Maharaja Fatesingh Museum Trust
Lakshmi Vilas Palace Estate
Jawaharlal Nehru Marg
Vadodara - 390 001
Mobile: +91 98241 65863